Ile Sainte Marguerite
Click on the compass for its precise location
Superbly located on an island in the Lérins archipelago, off the coast of Cannes, Fort Sainte Marguerite is one of four royal prisons on the shores of the Mediterranean where religionists were imprisoned in the 17th and 18th centuries.
It commemorates the life imprisonment of six pastors returned from exile to minister in France and who were arrested.
A fort cell similar to that where pastors were held from 1689 to 1725 may be visited.